Set in the wilds of suburban New Jersey, KIMBERLY AKIMBO is a hilarious and heartrending play about a teenager with a rare condition causing her body to age faster than it should. When she and her family flee Secaucus under dubious circumstances, Kimberly is forced to reevaluate her life while contending with a hypochondriac mother, a rarely sober father, a scam-artist aunt, her own mortality and, most terrifying of all, the possibility of first love.
- Kimberly, a teenage girl with an aging disease who struggles to find happiness in a chaotic family where nobody understands her
- Buddy, her father, an alcoholic (becomes sober midway through the show) who only wants what’s best for Kim
- Jeff, a nerdy boy who is basically Kimberly’s love interest, who is neglected by his father at home
- Pattie, Kimberly’s mother who thinks she is dying and is pregnant with her second child
- Debra, Pattie’s sister who causes the family some problems and lives with